Sunday, September 14, 2014

New Blog

I thought I was going to have an autistic free weekend, I sometimes feel that my life revolves around autism, but when I met two other Moms whose children were just starting off in the Special Education Department I realized that even though my life does revolve around autism I could put it to good use and share my experience with others.

Today is a new day, at least that's what I keep telling myself. It's actually 7:48 at night, so I guess there is nothing new about it. It was a busy weekend Liam played soccer with AYSO in Foster City and we had soooooo much fun. Logan went on his camping trip to Yosemite, he had fun but compalined about a headache the whole time. Logan tends to do that when there are too many people around or there is too much noise.

Today we went to the Ice Cream Social for the new Special Ed PTA. I wasn't impressed. First of all they didn't have any information that I didn't already have. Secondly there was another party going on next door and they had a jumpy house, which is great for their kids but our kids were quite upset they didn't get to go on the jumpy house. The best part of the event was seeing old friends and meeting some new faces. r

 They also had some teens doing face painting, Liam doesn't like face painting so instead we got our hands done. They did an awesome job putting a Mario symbol on his hand. He still has it and won't let me wash it off.

I met some other Moms there, thier boys were in kindergarten and they had Liam's old teacher. We got to talking and I tried to give them as much info that I had wished I had when I first started the special ed department. Information that our school district would not tell us, like which kind of therapies you can ask the school to pay for or what items our most important to send your child with.

People have been telling me for awhile to make this blog. I have a 12 year old when most of the other parents are starting for the first time. I would tell my husband, Andrew what they said but I would always laugh it off. Me? I  don't have enough info to run a blog. I don't even know how to run a blog. But the more I talked to the other Moms the more I realized how much I did know and how much I take for granted that I know.

So that is what this blog will be about, it will be about all the knowledge that I have accumulated over the years and all the knowledge that I plan to gather in the future. Hopefully the information that I take for granted can be of some use for you and your children. If there is something specific you want to know please ask, as my friends and family can tell you I'm quite the talker! The most important piece of advice I have for you is this: You are your child's greatest advocate, if you won't fight for them, who will?

No comments:

Post a Comment